"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Friday, February 3, 2012

How You Know You're In Love

I used to fight it. At one point I wasn't even sure it existed. I bad mouthed it, wondered why anyone would want it, and when someone came crying to me because it ended, I tried hard not to say "I told you so" (although you know I thought it!).

What is it? Love.

I don't think I was ever really against it, I just hadn't experienced it personally and I didn't want to experience it until I knew I'd found "the one". (Pause for one of my I'm-a-walking-contradiction moments: I hated love and people in love and yet I still believed there was and is only one perfect person for each of us, inspired by God to find each other and be together forever. Unpause.) I'd seen enough broken hearts through the years that I knew for a fact I didn't want that for me. You call me a chicken... I call me smart!

And what was surprising to me about falling in love, was how slowly it came over me, so slowly, in fact, I didn't realize it until one day I was like, wow, so this is what it feels like. I think I realized it the same day I realized there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell I was going to be giving up my Prince Charming when I left Costa Rica. I cursed myself that day for doing what I had told myself I would never do in a million years: have a long distance relationship, but at the same time I was so giddy it was disgusting. I mean, I was one of those girls...

Funny thing is, when you're in love EVERYTHING reminds you that you're in love. It's like the universe conspires to remind you day in and day out that your heart is no longer your own.

For me, the signs are everywhere: in the trees, in candy, in vegetables for heaven's sake!

The pictures I'm posting were not staged in any way (I guess only one could really have be staged, but it wasn't, the drawstring fell like that on its own, I just snapped the picture).


Not only color is perfect about this picture.
The drawstring froom my favorite sweats.
Yellow Pepper with which I made my spaghetti.
Heart-shaped M&M.
Fun fact: This actually came from a bag of personalized M&Ms I'd made him for our 1 year anniversary :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment