"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Keeping the Faith...

So, in keeping with my New Year’s Resolution—I’m going to be honest, it hasn’t been very easy so far, I always automatically revert to negativity—I decided to make a list of all the things I’m looking forward to this year. I’m hoping to reach at least 5 (hey, I may be starting small, but at least I’m starting).


1. Turning 27. I have said it time and time again, for me age 25 was perfect. I had an amazing year, accomplished so much, had lots of fun, graduated from the Master’s program, met my amazing boyfriend, made friends, realized it was time to lose certain friends, and finally accepted change as a good thing. Then I turned 26 hoping for the same sort of year, and well, it was really just mediocre. Sure, I got a job, but I moved 3000+ miles away from my family. Yes I got closer to my sister and best girlfriends, but I see them so sporadically it was hardly worth the long trip. Age 26 has been an amazing year for reconnecting with my sister, though, but I am not sad to see it go. Here’s to hoping 27 is the best year so far!


2. Finally being with Rolando again. So far it has been one full year that Rolito and I have been apart, and I’ve felt every day of it. This year, though, is the year the waiting ends, and we can finally be together here in the US. It won’t be until later this year, first we have to figure out visa stuff, but I am confident that this is the year I can finally say, “It was all worth it!”


3. Traveling somewhere new. I have the travel bug again (shocker) and I’m hoping this year takes me somewhere new, although it probably won’t be somewhere exotic. I am thinking of taking a trip to Chicago, hopefully during football season to see my Bears in action. I have been hoping to go to Chicago for years now, and I think this year might just be my year. On a side note, I flew over Soldier field this past December when I stopped in O’Hare on my way to Santa Ana, California. It was amazing. I haven’t seen the city from the ground yet but from the air it is spectacular!


4. Spending more time with my lil’ sister. Since I’ve moved back to North Carolina, Adrienne is the only family I have close by, and she is one and a half hours away in Charlotte. So far I’ve gotten to see her plenty, and I hope this year is no different. Although we didn’t get along too well when we were younger, even 3 years ago we constantly bickered when we were with each other, it seems we have both matured, and having each other while we are so far away from everyone else is a blessing. We had a great weekend together this past weekend. We just lazed around watching TV and we didn’t fight even once. She hopes to maybe even move to Greensboro by the end of the year, so fingers crossed!


5. I’m struggling with this one. I’ve been staring at this page for about 5 minutes now, re-reading the above, hoping number 5 will come to me, but still…nothing. Oh here it is, Learning Italian. For a while now I have been hoping to start learning another language. I started out last year trying to teach myself Portuguese, but I missed not being in a class setting. After researching some places here I found a Community College that gives Italian for a very fair price, so I though, why not? It is close enough to Spanish to either be easy to learn, or hopelessly confuse me (same issue I was having with Portuguese lol). I haven’t yet made plans to start, I need to call the College and sign up, but I’m hoping to learn a bit this year, so that when I do finally make it to Italy, I’ll be able to at least order coffee (or dessert) in their language!



And there you have it! 5 things I’m looking forward to in 2012. Wow, that felt weird writing. If I think of any more, I will continue to update my list, and hopefully by the end of the year I’ll have stories to share about each one!

1 comment:

  1. 2. That's a good way to look a it. Glass half full. Not that you have X number of days till he comes, but instead that he IS coming THIS year. I am going to need to feed off of this optimism that I'm currently lacking, haha.

    3. Omg! If you go to Chicago, please, please let me know! I live in Indianapolis (about 2 hours away). I would definitely come meet up with you. There's even a Tico Restaurant there (Irazu, it's called). I think that would be the prefect setting for us, haha. Chicago is a great city! But seriously, keep me posted :)

    4. I love hearing how sibling get along after years of bickering. Gives me hope! That would be great if she does end up moving closer to you!

    5. Enjoy the Italian classes! Now you can get the study/college out of you by studying what you want and working too! A Win-Win.

    It was great to hear your optimism for 2012. I hope all of these work out for you...it will be fun to look back on next New Years Eve and see what really happened in 2012.

    ReplyDelete