"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hello, Gorgeous...

The sun is here! The sun is here! A full 8 days after my dreadfully late arrival to Costa Rica the sun has finally shone (hehe, how clever) its beautiful face. After 8 long days of bitterness and restlessness I was finally able see blue sky, put on a summer dress, and spend a few hours soaking up the sun in Central Park. I can without a doubt say that every soul I know here is just as thrilled as I am for the sun to have come out, just for a different reason of course (I've been told I'm not the easiest person to be around when I'm in a foul mood hehe). My mood has lifted! My gloomy mood brought on by day after day of dark rain-soaked clouds has blown away with those same clouds and I'm smiling, and even hummed to myself as I sat in line at the bank waiting to pay the rent.

Dreading the thought in the morning of opening the curtains and seeing, once again, the rain, I slept in until 9. Less conscious daylight hours meant less hours of gloomyness. When I checked my phone however, I had received a message at 7 am: ...salga, esta haciendo un sol increible! (Go outside, the sun is incredible!) My first thought was "why the hell would I be up at 7 am, let alone ready to go outside?" but then I thought, "maybe the sun is still there!?!" I opened the front door and low and behold, the spiral stairs leading down to the first floor were bathed in yellow light and the potted plants outside my door had cast shaddows across the veranda. I immediately grabbed my cup of joe and sat, pijamas and all, on the steps, soaking up the glorious warmth.

It wasn't enough for me though and I quickly showered, cleaned the bathroom, swept the floors, and ran my errands at the bank, and then walked over to Central Park, found an empty bench and read in the sun for the next hour and a half. Glorious, glorious sun!

Along with the first day in over two weeks that I have seen the sun, yesterday I was given a bouquet of seven gorgeous yellow sunflowers, my favourite flower. There is just something about them that makes me smile. Between the two, how in the world can I be having a bad day?

Now the clouds have returned, something I had expected since the moment I first saw the sun today (there is no getting around the tropical rainy season climate), but I'm happy. My spirits have lifted and I'm ready to tackle another day of teaching Intro English.

No comments:

Post a Comment