"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Friday, April 9, 2010

Much of nothing...

I guess considering about two months have passed since my last update I should have a lot to write about... but is that the case? I seem to spend all my time doing something, to the point where I even feel like I need more hours in my day... I complain about being too busy, about being stressed, about constantly being tired, but when I look back and try to figure out what I've been doing... well, I really don't do much of anything. Classes are in full swing. I despise two of them and tolerate the other two. If I ever consider a career of Consecutive Interpretation I give whoever reads this full leave to smack me over the head. Oh and of course there is French... What can I say except, why do the French have to make everything so damn complicated? I do, however, understand a good um... 70% of what I read now, so I guess I'm moving forward. Honestly, I've thought of dropping the class, I'm really not learning like I would like to and I'm not putting the time into it that I should (then of course I'm not doing that for my interpretation class either...), but in the end I'm still there... I still go, even if I have a frown on my face. I'm just not the type to give up on a class. Someone knock some sense into me...

I'm also happy to say that my thesis is going well. I turned in my Introductory chapter a few weeks ago and when I got it back the professor only had good things to say! My writing (in Spanish, of course) has matured, I managed to clearly state the objectives of my thesis and she is certain that if I continue writing that way my project will be a success... thanks, señora, for the added pressure. For the last three weeks (ok, ok, one week) I have been working on Chapters 2 and 3. A sociological analysis and the analysis of examples pulled from the translation I did last semester. Tomorrow I present the two chapters to my class, receive their feedback and then I have one week to "perfect" the chapters before turning them in. I guess next week I can look forward to a lovely week locked in the university library writing... I only manage to get work done when I'm there. Its like, in the library Facebook doesn't exist, nor does MSN chat or the internet. I manage to block out distractions and focus. Of course sitting in the library from 9-3 without eating anything is not desireable either.

I've lost weight. I'm not sure how much but when I was at home in December I had lost 8 pounds and people tell me that I've lost more. I saw a guy yesterday I haven't seen in a good few months and the first thing he says to me is: "wow you're too skinny, how much do you weigh?" Um firstly, thanks for the compliment??? Of course there is nothing complimentary about losing weight to ticos. They like their women meaty and I'm well...less meaty than they prefer. Back in 2007 when I put on about 15 pounds thanks to my host mom's delicious cooking, then I was just perfect... of course to me I was just chubby. Now my jeans don't fit my butt and thighs and I've had to poke an extra hole in my two belts. My attempts of fattening up don't work. I can't say I'm happy that I've lost so much weight. I mean I eat well, so I can only assume it has to do with things unrelated to my eating habits... although, honestly, I don't eat as much as I used to. I eat a good breakfast (occasionally) and lunch, but very seldomly do I eat dinner... usually I'll just eat a few pieces of fruit. I don't generally enjoy eating at 8:30/9 pm when I 've gotten home from class.

I turned 25 about three weeks ago. Its amazing how I felt a change from one day to the next haha...even more so than when I turned 21! Okay so maybe not, but I have noticed a change in my attitude. Gradually I have been thinking more about settling down, finding a place I want to live permanently. Its funny to think that when I was younger I had always wanted to be married and have started a family by the time I was 25 and look at me now, what do I have to show for my 25 years? A degree in political science that now I could care less to pursue and one year left until I finish my master's in translation. And it is only now that I have started to wonder if I've been wasting my time, being selfish. In these last three weeks I've thought more about my future than I have practically my whole life. I've thought about where I really want to settle down, and I know it is close to my mom. As much as I love Costa Rica, I can't spend the rest of my life this far away from my family. I consider myself independent, but in the end, once I start a family I want them to have Grandparents, something I never really felt like I had, and never really missed until I've seen now the relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren. Latinos are very family oriented and spending time with my best friend and his family has made me want to give that to my future children. Ok, wait... I feel like I'm getting too deep into this right now. Maybe I should save this for another day...

1 comment:

  1. Consecutive Interpretation: Ugh. Just because you can translate does not make you a good interpreter and vice versa. aahh...Consecutive is kind of manageable but simultaneous is a WHOLE other story. Aahh.
    Ignore previous questions bc this blog answered about your thesis chapter topics! It seems like I will be getting over my fear of public speaking through all of these class presentation. Woo-hoo. :/
    And lastly, it would appear that we have very similar reasons for wanting to come back to the states and not stay in CR! I totally agree with you (well, you in early 2010!)

    ReplyDelete